- Mining difficulty adjusts automatically every block. The graphs below show the difficulty time series for the last 4 weeks worth of blocks (20160 blocks).
- The adjustment aims to maintain an average block-mining time of 2 minutes.
- A growth in the difficulty indicates that the average block-mining time during the last block(s) was less than 2 minutes (due to more miners joining the network and 'searching' / 'mining' for blocks).
- A drop in difficulty indicates miners have left the network so finding each block is adjusted to be 'easier' for the smaller number remaining.
- For more details have a look at the DAA algorithm